Friday 18 January 2013

Risotto Smash

This week has been all about dairy free and I have really enjoyed cooking our dinners.  This recipe has been pottering around the back of my mind all week and I decided to test it out tonight on the lovely boyf; a welcome home present of sorts.


Risotto Smash.

2 shallots, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, finely sliced
200g carnaroli rice
White wine
1.25l vegetable stock
EVOO

1 head of broccoli, cut into florets
1/2 small savoy cabbage, finely sliced
400g tin butter beans
Soya spread
1tbsp mixed fresh herbs (I used sage, chives, parsley and thyme), finely chopped
Salt and pepper

First, I brought the stock to the boil before reducing it to a simmer, ready to add to the risotto.

To make the risotto, I lightly sauteed the shallots in olive oil for 5 minutes before adding the garlic for another minute of two.  I added the rice and cooked it for a a minute before adding a generous splash of white wine and cooking it out.  I then add 2 ladles of stock at a time, letting it cook out before adding more and stirring the risotto 3-4 times each addition.

As the risotto was cooking, I added the broccoli to salted boiling water and cooked for 5 minutes before adding the drained, and rinsed, butter beans.  After another couple of minutes, I added the cabbage and cooked it for a further 5 minutes.  The vegetables were then strained, returned to the pan with a good knob of soya spread and left to stand for a couple of minutes.  Finally, the chopped herbs were added, I seasoned it well and roughly mashed it all.

The risotto was plated with a well in the middle, which I filled with the vegetable smash and everything seasoned with pepper again.


The butter beans and herbs were lovely accents to to the smash, their earthiness softened by the gentler flavours of the broccoli and cabbage, and the creamy and tangy risotto worked really well as a base to the subtler flavours of the smash.  Delish!  I've been picking at the leftover smash all night...

And, if I actually leave any, I can't wait for a plate of reheated smash bubble and squeak for breakfast tomorrow with the latest double yolker on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
© Lucy Green. Powered by Blogger.