The nearer to completion that my costume gets, the more I wonder about my choice of fabrics. My initial thoughts on fabric for this project were to steer clear of the "traditional" interpretations and go for a cleaner, perhaps more modern, look. However, the more involved that I have become, the more I question my initial choices. Perhaps it is the two fabrics I chose? There was too much going on in Mood, and not enough time to hand, to concentrate properly. Perhaps I have just found my inner Victorian, and she's crying out for frills and furbelows! All this said, however, I am very happy with both my fabrics and my costume, I guess what I am trying to say is that I would be less cautious next time.
"Next time?" I hear you say. "Yes, indeedy!" There will be a next time... :o)
In the meantime, I am finding that not only do my finishing details need to complement each piece and its fabric, they also need to work that bit harder to pull the outfit together. I have a few ideas but will work on completing the individual pieces first. I am also finding out just how time-consuming they can be; at the rate that I am currently going (which I know is far too slow and cautious) the snaps closures for the jacket will take 8-12 hours! Last night I took a break from the snaps and concentrated on finishing the ruching and hemming of the overskirt.
I also found myself handstitching the ribbon trim to the fantail skirt, over 8 yards in total... I grabbed a glass of wine, curled myself up on the sofa and "watched" a movie with the boyf - not quite his idea of a cuddle on the sofa, I know... sorry honey!
Although the fantail skirt and the jacket/overskirt need to be "pulled together" more, I am starting to see progress. I have found a very cool wig - this is afterall a Halloween costume as well as an exercise in sewing - now I just need it to arrive in good time for Friday and I can put my last ideas into place.